Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: expensive speakers

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Post

    I just noticed this place today:
    www.higherfi.com
    I did notice that the Goldmund $268K system uses neoprene. I wonder if they got that idea from GM. forums

    I'll leave you with this pic so none of you rustic thinkers will ever tell me I'm going overboard again:
    Oheocha D2

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    I just noticed this place today:
    www.higherfi.com
    I did notice that the Goldmund $268K system uses neoprene. I wonder if they got that idea from GM.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">These speakers systems have no detail technical
    specs. They use the design appeal to sell to the
    ignorant snob class.

    I could outperform any of these speakers with
    a 10" Altec pancake speaker and some recordings
    at 24 bit 96 KHZ and a Tascam,Otari or Fostex cd broadcast player to play the cd's.

    ...................

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Steve Mac:
    ...rustic thinkers...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey, I resemble that remark!

    On the cool scale, I gotta give 'em a 10!

    I'll look into purchasing a pair upon returning from my adventure in Spaceship Two.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member A7fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 15th, 2006
    Location
    Pacifc Northwest
    Posts
    173
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    $24,500 will get you one of these.http://www.lostinspacerobot.com/features.html

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member zelgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 25th, 2002
    Posts
    302
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If you look at the discounts available on nearly new equipment, it would be a good way to rationalize your investments to the spouse. Everything seams to be 20 to 60% off list.
    I could show my wife these items and justify another pair of 19's for surround speakers.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by CONVERGENCE:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
    I just noticed this place today:
    www.higherfi.com
    I did notice that the Goldmund $268K system uses neoprene. I wonder if they got that idea from GM.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">These speakers systems have no detail technical
    specs. They use the design appeal to sell to the
    ignorant snob class.

    I could outperform any of these speakers with
    a 10" Altec pancake speaker and some recordings
    at 24 bit 96 KHZ and a Tascam,Otari or Fostex cd broadcast player to play the cd's.

    ...................
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There is a sucker born every minute.

    Okay where to do I sign up to get a couple of thes puppies?

    J/K folks.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    All commercial CD's sold are at 16 BIt 44 KHZ ,in order to get a copy of the Master tape at 24 BIT 96KHZ you must enter into an agreement with the producer or record co. These are contracted mostly to the Film industry .
    70's release at that quality will negotiate between 10K and 25 K for 3 million viewing. If you want even higher quality such as the master itself
    you can spend in the order of 50K.

    P.S These prices are for a single song.

    These contracts are reserved for film and other
    TV or media presentation.

    ................

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ January 28, 2008 10:30 AM: Message edited by: CONVERGENCE ]</font>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think many of us here have at least listened to or even bought some of the so-called high-end speakers in our quest for the perfect sound. A few years ago I looked at replacing my model 15's. I looked at some very expensive speakers....Including WAMM's (which I couldn't afford). I really was amazed how well my then 25+ yo Altecs stood up to the so-called high-end speakers that cost 10-50 times what I paid for my Altecs back in 78. Most of these speakers didn't even come close. Some where very very good but not so much better that I'd spend $15k for a pair of speakers.

    If you look at price performance of these older Altec's which you can buy on E-Bay they pretty much blow all the competition away.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    the million dollar baby at the top of the list looks to be nothing special, and the rest..artwork. im sure they paid a designer as much as the decorator. just think what we could do with that kind of money? quit our day jobs and do what we really love. and the end result would more than likely exceed what is shown at higher fi .com

  10. #10
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Of those speakers on that list..I've personally listened to a pair of RockPorts and the JM Labs. I was NOT impressed with either. I thought my Altecs were a lot better....But I'm sure there are many other people who feel the opposite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.